Roof Maintenance Budgeting
Below are estimates of what it costs to maintain and repair a commercial roof. Please keep in mind that these are not are not our costs. These are simply costs of roof ownership and are for budget purposes only.
Estimated and associated cost information: (2004 RSI Magazine)
- Tear off & install new roof – $2.50/ $3.50 per sq ft
- New Construction – $2.00 /$3.00 per sq ft
- Recover system- $2.25 / $3.25 per sq ft
- Wood deck replacement – $1.50 per sq ft
- Steel deck replacement – $3.50 per sq ft
- Maintain/startup cost of data base (maintenance & warranty service) – $.02 per sq /ft/per year
- Acquisition of software
- Acquisition of hardware
- Operator & inspection training
- Acquisition of the initial detail data base
- Establishment of an emergency plan from potential weather event
What does a simple roof leak cost?
(one sq foot = 12″ x 12″)
- Leak Repair – $750.00
- Interior damage – $500.00
- Total – $1250.00
(Wasted energy per sq /ft /yr $1.08)
What does it cost per year to not maintain the roof system?
- $.07 per sq/ ft/ yr – RSI Magazine(2004)
- $.10-.15 per sq/ ft/ yr – D Firman PE USAF (RSI Magazine 2004)
What is a budget cost for preventative maintenance?
- $.03 per sq ft yr – reasonable
- $.04 per sq ft yr – moderate
- $.05 per sq ft yr – aggressive
- $.25 per sq ft yr – extreme restoration